Hallman Law Office

Workplace Injuries

Workers are seriously injured or killed every year because of unsafe conditions on work sites. While safety should be Job #1 on any project, financial pressures and shoddy standards sometimes result in corners being cut, and that sets the stage for tragedy for the worker and his or her family.

While most workers are aware of their rights under the Workers' Compensation System, they are less familiar with the powerful Employers' Liability Law (ELL). This law requires owners, contractors and subcontractors to use every device, care and precaution for the protection of employees and to follow safety regulations adopted by the State of Oregon or the United States government.

For decades Hallman Law Office has represented injured workers and the families of deceased workers throughout the state. Clients include workers involved in agriculture and food processing; highway, commercial and residential construction; timber; trucking; mining; and other industries. Hallman Law Office is familiar with the complex rules and regulations for workplace safety adopted by the state and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).

In addition to trial work in state and federal court, Gene Hallman has represented injured workers or the families of deceased workers in the Oregon Supreme Court and the Oregon Court of Appeals and has lectured and written for other lawyers on the Oregon Employers' Liability Law.


If you or a loved one has been injured or killed at a workplace, do not sign any release or other document before talking to Mr. Hallman. He has the experience and expertise to help you make the right decision.


OSHA Oregon (Occupational Safety & Health Administration )

ELL - The Original Worker's Compensation (2008)


What are my rights regarding workplace safety as an employee?

The Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) regulates workplace safety in most settings. OSHA provides that you have the right to be trained by your employer regarding workplace hazards and safety, to ask your employer for OSHA information regarding injuries, illnesses and workplace hazards, to ask that your employer correct any hazards or OSHA violations and to be involved in and get the results of any OSHA inspection.

Can I Be Punished or Discriminated Against for Exercising My Rights?

The Occupational Safety and Health Act and other laws protect workers who complain to their employer, union, OSHA or other government agencies about unsafe or unhealthful conditions, including environmental problems. You cannot be transferred, denied a raise, have your hours reduced or be fired as a result of a health or safety action. Complaints about discrimination must be filed as soon as possible-within 30 days of the alleged reprisal for most complaints.

What Should I Do If I've Been Injured On the Job?

First of all, get medical attention, and follow all treatment and other medical advice you're given.

Second, report the injury to your employer, and your employer's Worker's Compensation insurer.

Next, to the best of your ability, collect any relevant facts regarding your injury, and if possible document the circumstances which led to the injury. This may involve photographing the scene and talking with witnesses. It is important to preserve evidence which might otherwise be discarded or changed, and to gather witnesses thoughts while details are still fresh in their minds.

Should I Contact an Attorney If I Have Been Injured at Work?

An attorney can help you protect your legal rights. Workplace relationships between subcontractors and general contractors are often complex, and your attorney can evaluate whether you may have a case against someone other than your direct employer. If so, this would expand your possible remedies beyond Worker's Compensation benefits.



Hallman Law Office
104 Southeast 5th St.
Pendleton, OR 97801
Phone: 541-276-3857